If you’re looking for low-cost but high-quality two-way portable radio, which is suitable for both leisure and work, you can always count on BaoFeng radios. There are two great models from BaoFeng on the market today that you may want to look into: BaoFeng uv-5r and BaoFeng uv-82. Check out their most attractive features below.
First of all, uv-5r model has an excellent price for such high quality product and It’s FM receiver works better than any of the Sony’s radios in the same niche. BaoFeng radios are famous for being small in size which makes them comfortable to use, and this model is not an exception.
- The simple and logical controllers help you tune in to any frequency in the range of 136-174 Mhz (VHF) and 400-480 Mhz (UHF)
- While it has its own removable antenna it has been proved to work perfectly with Nagoya NA-771 antenna.
- Default battery’s capacity is 1800 mA which allows the radio to work for up to 12 hours, and, of course, you could always get a bigger battery if needed.
- The uv-82 model has an exceptionally balanced case construction which makes it very comfortable to hold onto even with longer antennas.
- Includes PTT button that allows receiving and switching between two different channels.
- The UHF range is slightly wider than that of uv-5r model – 400-520 Mhz, VHF range is the same – 136-174 Mhz (VHF).
Both of these models are easily updated using firmware files. Both have slots for headset, programming cable, car charger and other accessories that can be easily added to the standard set.
BaoFeng for hunting, fishing and as a travel companion
Based on the comments of various users, one can say that BaoFeng brand have gained popularity mostly among hunters and fishermen. Although it can be very useful to buy one for each of your family members while traveling and keeping connection.
Every radio expert will tell you that antenna is one of the most important features needed for quality receiving, but if you don’t want to buy uncomfortably long antennas then BaoFeng radios will be most suited with one of the Quansheng TG-UV2 radios’ compact antennas. Most reviewers say that the signal is just slightly worse than that of the original ones.
BaoFeng and Other Radio Brands
If you still haven’t figured out that BaoFeng radios suit you or not, you may take a look at other similar products from such brands as:
TYT TH-UV3R — Which is in the same niche of products and even slightly smaller in size, but a bit more expensive.
Zastone ZT-2R — Another great choice with a striking amount of channels – 1300, in comparison to 128 channels in uv-5r model, but is twice as expensive.
In any case, before buying any kind of radio you should figure out what is it that you will need the most. For example, radios for professionals working in security or fire departments will need radios that are easy to use and have good mechanical protection, although may have limited technical features. On the other hand, amateur receivers may have more possibilities to play with.